Saturday, May 1, 2010

Style Sketches

This is the aformentioned Nate, posting my first round of sketches for Sleazy Speakeasy. Yaay!

Xuco showed me his art deco influences and let me know that he is looking for something graphic but with depth, sort of like the Multi-plane camera used in 2D Animation.

One of the biggest challenges is combining the clean, crisp shapes of art deco and graphic work with the grimy, seedy mood of a speakeasy. I wanted to know just how much texture Xuco wanted and where he was willing to stray from art deco:


My initial sketch, straying far from the deco look and using textures and perspective to create depth.


Going for a more paper-cutout look, also playing with negative space and light-sources to create shapes.


Trying out some stylized curved lines and patterns. I like the implied bottles to the left, as they feel very art deco to me.


Here I took out all texture and tried to use the poker card suits as the art deco graphic shapes. Just a direction we could head stylistically.

After showing Xuco he like elements in the first two sketches, particularly the second. He wants the environment to be composed of recognizable shapes, but still stand on its own as the object/place it represents. After some good back and forth chatting I'm now gonna try to make a cohesive design for the environment! I shall post my results soon~

No comments:

Post a Comment